Baunmore / An Bán Mór
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: An Bán Mór
English name: Baunmore
Meaning: the big lea-field
Area: 121 acres, 2 roods and 28 perches
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Baunmore, Bán Mór, Baunmore (B. S. Sketch Map), Baunmore (Barony Map), Baunmmore (County Map), Banmore (Inq. Temp. Car. I), Beanmore (Inq. Temp. Cha I.), Bán More (Local), Bán Mór – great plain (Local Pronunciation), Banmore (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Proprietor Major Kirwan son-in-law to Dominick Brown of Castle McGarrath[Unable to read.] – all under tillage in which a road runs, part of the North end of this townland and is subject to Winter floods.
Situation: It is situated 1/4 mile South Annaghdown Church. Bounded North by Slievefin. W. by Barravillia. South by Cloghaun[Unable to read.] And East by Glebe and [unable to read].
1841: 9 houses, 53 people (26 male, 27 female)
1851: 7 houses, 34 people (17 male, 17 female)
1861: 3 houses, 15 people (7 male, 8 female)
1871: 2 houses, 6 people (3 male, 3 female)
1881: 14 houses, 14 people (8 male, 6 female)
1891: 4 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 19 people (11 male, 8 female)
1901: 3 houses, 14 people (7 male, 7 female)
1911: 4 houses, 16 people (7 male, 9 female)
2011: 9 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 23 people (13 male, 10 female)
Tithe Applotment Books
Baunmore is not mentioned in the Tithe Applotment Books for Annaghdown Parish.
1853 Griffith’s House Books & 1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records Richard Kirwan as occupier of a house, offices, and land, held in fee, while John Ford occupied a house, offices and garden, and Patrick Walsh occupied a house and garden, both held from Richard Kirwan.
The 1853 house book for Baunmore records the same occupants in the townland as the 1855 Valuation.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following three households in Baunmore.
- Martin Kirwan (53), landlord, born in Co. Dublin; John R. Golding (68), agent and farmer, born in Co. Mayo, married; Eliza Brady (40), servant, housekeeper, born in Co. Cavan; and Jane Glynn (15), servant, born in Co. Galway.
- Margaret Walsh (50), housekeeper, widow; her son Michl (22), yard man; and daughter Julia (19), house worker.
- James OBrennan (31), National Teacher; his wife Georgina (29), National Teacher; daughter Mary Delia (2), son John Joseph C. (4 months), mother-in-law Mary Agnes Brennan (63), retired teacher; brother-in-law Peter Andrew Brennan (19), scholar; and step-brother Patrick Lynch (15), scholar.
All three houses were constructed of stone with slate, iron or tiled roofs. One house was of the first class, having between ten and twelve rooms with seven windows in front; the remaining two houses were of the second class, each having two front windows, with one having between two and four rooms and the other having between five and six. Martin O Kirwan is recorded as the name of the landholder for each house. There were fourteen out-offices in the townland, including four stables, one coach-house, one harness-room, three calf-houses, a dairy, piggery, fowl-house, barn, and shed.
By 1911, a fourth house has been added in addition to the three recorded in 1901.
- Dorothy Marjory Kirwan (25), born in New York, USA, married; Mary Mulleady (48), cook, domestic dervant, born in Co. Meath; Eilleen Mary Byrne (25), ladies maid, domestic servant, born in Co. Wicklow.
- Martin Tobin (26), groom, born in Co. Waterford; his wife Bridget (24), housemaid, born in Co. Dublin.
- Margaret Walshe (69), widow; her son Michael (31), agricultural labourer; daughter Julia Mary (28); and lodger Michael Walsh (38), agricultural labourer, born in Co. Limerick.
- James O’Brennan (43), National Teacher, widower; his daughters Mary Delia (12), Kathleen (4), scholars; and sons Peter James (9), Michael Francis (8), scholars, and Joseph Augustus (2); and domestic servant Mary Francis (30).
All four houses were constructed of stone with slate, iron or tiled roofs. One house was of the first class, having thirteen or more rooms with ten windows in front; two houses were of the second class, having between five and six rooms, one having two front windows and the other having four; and one house was of the third class, having a slate roof, one room, and one front window. Lieut. M. Kirwan is recorded as the name of the landholder for each house. There were 19 out-offices in the townland, including seven stables, a coach-house, a harness-room, cow-house, calf-house, piggery, two fowl-houses, a boiling-house, two barns, a store, and a kennel.
Bawnmore National School is also recorded on Form B1 in 1911, and is described as having walls of stone, a slate, iron or tiled roof, with between two and four rooms and having six front windows.