Carheeny / Na Caithríní
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Note: Part of Carheeny is in the civil parish of Annaghdown, with the remainder in the civil parish of Lackagh. Where a distinction is drawn in a particular record, both parts of the townland are given for completeness.
Irish name: Na Caithríní
English name: Carheeny
Meaning: the little stone ring-forts; caithrín is a diminutive of cathair.
Area: 94 acres (Annaghdown civil parish), 62 acres, 39 perches (Lackagh civil parish).
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Caithrín, Carheeny, Carheeny (B. S. Sketch Map), Carheeny (Barony Map), Carheeny (County Map), Carheen (High Constable 1838), Careen na faha (Local), Corheeny (Local), Carhín na faha (Local), Cairthínidhe, Caithrínidhe, Carrineagh (Inq. Temp. Jac. I), Corheeny (Local), Carreení (Local).
Description: Townland. It is the property of W. Lambert. All under tillage. A road passes through the S. E. ends of the townland.
Situation: It is situated 11/2 E. of Annaghdown Church. Bounded N. by Slievefin. South by Carheeny. East by Carraghey and W. by Baunmore. Lackagh section: Parish of Lackagh, Barony of Clare, bounded on the N. by the townlands of Baunmore and Carheeny in the Parish of Annaghdown, on the E. by Cauraun, S. and E. by Mullaghuthra, in the Parish of Claregalway and W. by Cloughaun in the Parish of Claregalway and Cloughaun in the Parish of Lackagh.
1841: 1 house, 4 people (1 male, 3 female)
1851: No houses, no people
1861: 1 house, 6 people (2 male, 4 female)
1871: No houses, no people
1881: 1 house, 9 people (3 male, 6 female)
1891: 1 house, 8 people (3 male, 5 female)
Above are for the Annaghdown section of the townland only. The following are for the entire townland, as a breakdown is not available.
1901: 1 house, 7 people (3 male, 4 female)
1911: 1 houses, 9 people (5 male, 4 female)
2011: 22 houses (incl. 5 uninhabited), 47 people (22 male, 25 female)
Tithe Applotment Books
Carheeny is not mentioned in the Tithe Applotment Books for either Annaghdown or Lackagh parishes.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation for Annaghdown records John Concannon, Malachy Concannon, Martin Caulfield, John Dolly, Thos. Hession & others, and John Golding holding land from John Blake. There are no houses recorded in this portion of the townland.
In the Lackagh parish part of Carheeny, Michael Hessian held a house and land from Thos. Hessian & others; Martin Skerritt held a house, offices, and land from James S. Lambert; and Edmund Nolan, William Tarpy, Martin Long, Malachy Casserley, William Lenihan, and Patrick Kyne all held land from James S. Lambert.
Valuation House & Field Books
The October 1853 house book for Carheeny (Lackagh) records Michael Hessian and Marten Skerritt as householders. No entries appear in the Annaghdown books.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following household in Carheeny.
Martin Crowe (60), herd; his wife Julia (63) [née Walsh]; son Anthoney (28), herd, married; daughter-in-law Mary (25) [née Flaherty, Kilgill]; daughter Maggie (16), domestic servant; niece Kate Melia (11), scholar [from Cartron]; and nephew Thomas Sherrit (1) [Skerritt, from Blake’s Lane, Galway, son of Julia Crowe and Thomas Skerritt].
The house had walls of stone, a roof of slate, iron, or tiles, five or six rooms, with two windows in front and was recorded as being of the second class. The name of the landholder was Martin O. Kirwan.
Out-offices recorded were a stable, cow-house, piggery, and barn.
The same household is present in 1911; by then, Martin had died and Julia is recorded as a widow.
Julia Crowe (73) [née Walsh], widow; her son Anthony (35), shepherd; daughter-in-law Mary (30) [née Flaherty, Kilgill]; grandchildren Martin (9), Julia (8), scholars, Mary (6), Patrick (5), and Anthony Crowe (4); and nephew Thomas Skerritt (12) [from Blake’s Lane, Galway, son of Julia Crowe and Thomas Skerritt].
The house had walls of stone, a roof of slate, iron or tiles, five or six rooms, with two windows in front and was recorded as being of the second class. The landholder was Lieut. D. Kirwan.
Out-offices recorded are a stable, cow-house, piggery, and fowl-house.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.