Irish name: Na Coitiantaí
English Name: Coteenty
Area: 358 acres, 3 roods and 27 perches
1841: 30 houses
1851: 18 houses
1861: 21 houses
1871: 20 houses
1881: 13 houses (36 male / 27 female)
1891: 13 houses (31 male / 24 female)
1901: 10 houses
1911: 8 houses (29 male / 16 female)
The population fell from 164 in 1841 (pre-Famine) to 45 in 1911.
Tithe Applotments (1824):
The Tithe Applotment Books show Pat McNamara, Richard Fahy, Roger Flaherty and partners as tenants of 165 acres plus 20 acres of bog in Cuttientymore (and its subdivisions Mininiskey and Laurence Park) with William Cavenagh and partners as tenants of 13 acres plus 10 acres of bog.
1840 House Books and 1855 Griffith’s Valuation:
George Woods is listed in the House Books as occupying a dwelling, barn & stables, store and cow house on 22 July 1845.
In 1853 the House Books show the following as house occupiers in Coteenty:
Eleanor Browne, Margaret Woods, George Woods, John Hannan, Richard Burke, Michael Scully, William Woods, Mary Delaney, William Burke, Frank Kavanagh, Pat Greally, Patt Ford, John Flaherty.
In 1855 Griffith’s Valuations the following are listed as house occupiers in Coteenty:
Eleanor Browne, Margaret Woods, a vacant holding (with George Woods as immediate lessor), John Hannan, Michael Scully, William Woods, Mary Delaney, William Burke, Francis Kavanagh, Patrick Grealy, Patrick Ford, and John Flaherty.
1856 Encumbered Estates Sales (available on findmypast.ie)
In 1856, lands held by Horace Rochfort were auctioned in the Encumbered Estates Court and were bought by the Blake family of Cregg.
The rental maps and particulars give the following information about tenants in Coteenty at the time.
John Cahill and Martin Boyle
William Ford (also Laurence Park)
James Fahy and Richard Fahy junior
Michael, Edward and Bridget Staunton
Judith Kilkelly, widow
Francis Kavanagh (also Mineeniskey)
George Woods (also Mineeniskey and Laurence Park)
Patrick Ford and Michael Scully
Mary Delany, widow and William Burke
Margaret Woods, widow
The 1901 census shows 10 houses in the 1901 census. It should be noted that while previous land records appear to work from ‘The Crossroads’ after Blake’s house over through the townland, the census records appear to work in the opposite direction:
- Bridget Scully lived with sons Michael, James and daughter Ellen.
- John Kavanagh lived with wife Margaret, sons Michael, Martin, Patrick and daughters Mary and Norah.
- John Scully lived with wife Mary Scully.
- Bridget Fahy lived with her daughter Mary.
- Thomas Kavanagh lived with his wife Ellen, sons Martin, Patrick, Thomas, John and daughter Mary.
- Patrick Delany lived with his wife Mary, son Patrick and grandson Thomas.
- John Gardiner lived with his wife Mary, son Michael and granddaughter Mary Skerit.
- James Kilkelly lived with his wife Julia and sons Michael and John.
- Bridget Caulfield, a widow, lived by herself.
- John Walsh lived with his wife Celia, sons Thomas, Pat, Frank and daughter Bridget.
Four of the houses were classed as second class dwellings, each with three windows in front and two rooms. Six of the houses were called as third class dwellings, three with two windows, three with one window in front. Four of the houses had two rooms and two of the houses had one room.
There were 5 stables, 8 cow houses, 9 piggeries, 5 barns and 5 cart houses in the townland in 1901.
The 1911 census shows 8 houses. By the time the 1911 census came around Bridget Caulfield had emigrated to Brooklyn and was living with her daughter Mary. Bridget Fahy and daughter Mary are no longer in the townland.
- Bridget Scully lived with her son James.
- John Scully lived with his wife Mary.
- John Kavanagh lived with his wife Maggie, sons Michael, Martin, Patrick, John and Thomas and daughters Mary and Norah.
- Thomas Kavanagh lived with his wife Ellen, sons Martin, Patrick, Thomas, John, Peter, Michael and daughters Mary and Maggie.
- Michael Gardiner lived with his wife Mary, sons John, William, Denis and daughter Mary.
- Mary Delany lived with her son Patrick and grandsons Patrick and Thomas.
- Julia Kilkelly lived with her sons Michael, Martin and John.
- John Walsh lived with his wife Celia, sons Thomas and Patrick, daughter in law Mary and grandchildren Celia, Martin and Bridget.
There were six second class dwellings with three front windows and two third class dwellings with two front windows. There were seven stables, nines cow houses (House 2 had two), eight piggeries, seven fowl houses, seven barns and five sheds.