Drumbaun / An Droim Bán
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: An Droim Bán
English name: Drumbaun
Meaning: the white ridge.
Area: 35 acres, 2 roods, and 29 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Drumbaun, Druim Bán, Dromban or white surface, Drumbaun (B. S. Sketch Map), Drumbawn (Barony Map), Drumbawn (County Map), Drumbane (Inq. Temp Iac. I.), Drimbaun (Local), Drimbane (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Patt. Kirwan, Esq. – Proprietor. All under Cultivation. The road from Galway to Shrule forms its West boundary.
Situation: It is situated 11/4 miles S. E. of Annaghdown Church. Bounded on the North by Glebe. West by Cregg. South by Baunmore and East by Slievefin.
1841: 5 houses, 28 people (14 male, 14 female)
1851: 1 house, 5 people (3 male, 2 female)
1861: 2 houses, 11 people (4 male, 7 female)
1871: No houses recorded.
1881: No houses recorded.
1891: No houses recorded.
1901: No houses recorded.
1911: 2 houses, 16 people (10 male, 6 female)
2011: 7 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 15 people (6 male, 9 female)
Drimbane (sic.) is recorded in the 1824 Tithe Applotment Books as the property of P. Kirwan Esq. Occupiers listed are Jas. Loftus, John McWalter, Nichs. Walsh, and John Fox.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records Richard Kirwan as holding the majority of the lands of Drumbaun in fee. There was one house and office in recorded in the townland, held by John Fox, who also held land. Johanna Meally and Hugh Meally also held land in the townland.
Valuation House & Field Books
The October 1853 house book for Drumbane (sic.) show John Fox as occupier of a house and office.
There were no houses recorded in Drumbaun in the 1901 census. Nil is entered on Form N.
Two households are recorded in Drumbaun in 1911.
- Melachy Glenane (38), farmer; his wife Catherine (56), married for 17 years with three children born alive and still lviing; children Bridget (15); William (11), and Sarah (7), both scholars.
- Winnifred Duggan (68) [née Kelly, Aucloggeen], farmer, widow; her sons Mat (39), Michael (29), farmer’s sons; daughter Mary (27), farmer’s daughter; and grandson Michael Sheridan (7), scholar.
Both houses were of the second class, with walls of stone, roofs of slate, iron or tiles, between two and four rooms each, and each with five front windows
Out-offices recorded in the townland are two stables, two cow-houses, a calf-house, two dairies, two piggeries, two fowl-houses, two barns, and two sheds.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.