One of the original aims of the Society is to gather artefacts pertaining to life in Annaghdown in the past. To this end, a Heritage Room was established in the former Scoil Bhride, the Old Girls’ National School building in Corrandulla village. The room is a treasure trove of items which tell the story of life in a rural parish in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.
Some of the most notable items include a large traditional spinning wheel; a saddle said to have belonged to Fr Navin of Bunatober, who died in 1812; a collection of oil lamps used for light before the advent of electric lighting; some fine examples of early radios; some traditional school desks dating from the 1930s; and a selection of traditional household artefacts and tools and implements used by farmers, blacksmiths, and carpenters.
The room was completely refurbished during 2018. We are deeply grateful to the people of Annaghdown, and to the members of our diaspora in New Zealand, the United States, Australia and elaewhere for their generosity and support. A significant part of the work was made possible by a donation in memory of Donna Staunton of Invercargill and Sydney; a plaque in her memory is now displayed inside the door of the room. Donna’s great-grandfather, Thomas Staunton, was a native of Lisheenanoran and left Ireland for New Zealand in latter half of the nineteenth century.
We continue to add wall displays and items to our collection. Contributions of any amount towards this work are most welcome: donations can be made via committee members or via PayPal through the link below.
The room is open by appointment; please contact us should you wish to visit, and we will be happy to arrange a mutually suitable time. We also open for special occasions such as the Corrandulla Show and Heritage Week – check our website in advance for details.