Nineacres / Naoi nAcra
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: Naoi nAcra
English name: Nineacres
Meaning: Nine acres. The area of the townland corresponds to approximately ten Irish acres.
Area: 16 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Nine Acres, Noí n-acra
Ní nacera, Nine acres, Neenachera (B. S. Sketch Map), Nhee acra, Nine acres (Cahill, Esq., Annaghdown), Neenockara or Nine Acres (Local)
Description: Proprietor Joyce, Esq. All under tillage in which a road runs South.
Situation: It is situated 1 ¾ miles S. E. of Annaghdown Church. Bounded by Slievefin. South by Cregg. East by Slievefin and West by Cregg.
There were no houses recorded in the townland in any of the censuses from 1841 to 1911, or in the 2011 census.
Tithe Applotment Books
No record for Nineacres appears in the Tithe Applotment Books for Annaghdown.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
The entire townland was held by John Robinson from Pierce Joyce at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. John Robinson ran a public house nearby at Aucloggeen, and the landlord, Pierce Joyce of Merview House, owned several townlands in the parish.
Valuation House & Field Books
Nineacres does not appear in the Valuation Office house and field books – likely because there were no households living in the townland.
There were no households living in Nineacres in the 1901 census – ‘Nil’ is entered on Form N for the townland.
There were no households living in Nineacres in the 1911 census – ‘Nil’ is entered on Form N for the townland.