Annaghdown / Eanach Dhúin
Compiled by Sonia White
Irish name: Eanach Dhúin
English name: Annaghdown
Meaning: marsh of the fort or headland fort
Area: 685 acres, 0 roods and 20 perches
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other Names: Eanach Cuan 4 masters
Annaghdown B. S. Sketch Map,
Annadown Barony Map,
Annadown County Map,
Annaghduane Inq. Temp. Car. I,
Annach Cuan Inq. Temp. Car. I,
Anaghdowne Inq. Temp. Eliz. I,
Anaghdowne Inq. Temp. Iac. I,
Annadown Local pronunciation,
Caislán Annachcuan Local Pronunciation, Irish
Description: Townland. It is the property of Rochford, Esq. Under tillage, wood and portions [Unable to read.] subject to Winter floods.
Situation: It is situated 3 miles West of Currandulla Chapel. Bounded North and South by Logh Corrib. East Tonamace and West by Lough Corrib.
The below archaeological sites appear in ‘Archaeological Inventory of County Galway Vol. II – North Galway’; compiled by Olive Alcock, Kathy de hÓra and Paul Gosling (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1999).
Ecclesiastical building (unclassified). Not Marked (page 293). Associated with the monastic complex at Annaghdown. Cochrane (1901, 319) mentions the ‘remains of the Bishop’s residence’ placing it ‘near’ the castle. This structure is also referred to by Fahey (1904, 135) as ‘a ruin with no particular features referred to by some writers as the Bishop’s house’. Not located.
Tower house. Indicated ‘Annaghdown Castle (in ruins) ’(page 396). On S shore of a small bay on E side of Lough Corrib, 250m S of the monastic complex at Annaghdown which lies on the opposite shore. Nolan (1901a, 42), quoting from Parker, notes that ‘the existence of a castle at this spot seems to have sprung from the desire of the Archbishops of Tuam to suppress the bishopric of Annaghdown’. The last bishop was appointed her in 1421 and ‘it is to him that the erection of the present castle is probably due’ (ibid). In 1574 ‘Anaghcoyne’ was in the possession of ‘Nicholas Lynch’ (Nolan 1901b, 118). An almost square tower (L 11m,Wth 10.3), in fair condition, it is five stories high. A pointed arch doorway in SE wall opens into a lobby with a murder-hole above. The guardroom is to S, while a passage to N leads to an intramural stairs which accesses the first floor, from where the spiral stairs rises. A stone vault exists between 2nd/3rd floors). A possible fireplace, partly destroyed, is visible on 1st floor in SW gable and there is an inaccessible passage in SE wall. Windows consist of simple rectangular slits and robbed-out two lights. Corbels which supported angled bartizans are visible on top of the walls on N, E, and S corners, and slop-stones survive on all walls, except NE gable. Chimney stacks crown both gables. The garderobe exit chute is visible near the base of NW wall. Traces of a bawn wall (H <2m, Wth 0.85m) extend S from E and W corners. A slit window and gun loop are visible in E section. (Parker 1860, 168-9; O’Flanagan 1927, Vol. 1, 265-70). Since restored.
1841: 65 houses, 373 people (173 male, 200 female)
1851: 47 houses, (+ 3 uninhabited), 230 people (102 male, 128 female)
1861: 23 houses, (+ 2 uninhabited), 138 people (68 male, 70 female)
1871: 20 houses, 112 people (58 male, 54 female)
1881: 18 houses, 108 people (57 male, 51 female)
1891: 16 houses, 92 people (47 male, 45 female)
1901: 15 houses, 98 people (53 male, 45 female)
1911: 15 houses, 81 people (45 male, 36 female)
2011: 71 houses (10 vacant), 161 people (81 male, 80 female)
The Tithe Applotment Books (1824) do not record the names of individual tenants in Annaghdown townland, with only the area of Knocknabluff recorded (another name for part of Annaghdown townland area). The sole name listed is Colonel [Horace] Rochfort, with ‘tenants in common’ given as occupiers.
1840 Griffith’s House Books & 1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation shows that 96% of the townland was held from Horace Rochfort (661 of 685 acres), with small holdings held by Mark A Lynch (23 acres), Thomas Kilkelly & Mary Scully (0.1 acre), and William Kavanagh (1 acre). The latter two holdings are likely sub-lettings from either Rochfort or Lynch. The 1840s House Book for Annaghdown records multiple tenants after 1844:
1844: Captain William Burke held the lease for all recorded property.
1845: George Woods took over part of Burke’s lease, of a dwelling, piggery, barn and stables. Patrick Cosgrove took over a dwelling, barn, cow house, fowl house, and oat house.
1853: Records show the lease of “house and offices” or simply “house” to: Michael Carr, Patt Carr, Thomas Farty, Thomas Kavanagh, John Carr (Mary), John Carr (James – house), John Gardener (Senr), John Gardener (Junr – house), Thomas Hessian, James Carr, Patt Mangan, Michael Cahill, James Feenaghty, Patt Staunton, Mathew Laffy, Ellen Novan (house), Marten Flaherty (house), Michael Connor (house), John Farty (house), James Flyn (house), Philip Connor, William Burke (house), Cecilia Kavanagh, James Dooley (house), Michael Kerrigan (house), Thomas Kilkelly (house), James Ford, Mary Scully (house), Johanna Kilkelly (house), Mary Gorey (house), Johanna Murphy (house), George Woods, Mathew Browne, Rev Michael Seymour (School house), and William Kavanagh.
Sale in Encumbered Estates Court, 1856
The Rochfort Estate was put up for sale on 27 June 1856, in 5 Lots, part of Lot 2 being in Annaghdown townland. The Estate previously owned by Horatio Rochfort was put up for sale by John Downes Rochfort.
The accompanying sale catalogue records the following tenants, with the number corresponding to the number on the map below:
1. Annaghdown, Lodge Park: George Woods, 10 acres, 1 rood, 2 perches. Annual rent £6.0.0.
2 – 5. Ditto, Stone Horse Park: James Ford, Thomas Kilkelly & Mary Scully, 18 acres,1 rood, 2 perches. Annual rent £12.10.0.
6. Ditto, Lime Kiln Park: Michael Kerigan, 1 acre,1 rood, 1 perch. Annual rent 18s 9d.
7 -11.Ditto, ditto: William Kavanagh, 35 acres, 3 roods, 7 perches. Annual rent £9.10.0.
12-19.Ditto, Carheen: Michael Cosgrove, Mathew Brown, John Cosgrove, 49 acres, 3 roods, 10 perches. Annual rent £26.11.3
20-21. Ditto, ditto: The Rev Waldon Ashe. 1 acre. Leased from 1854 for the period of 31 years. Annual rent 5 shillings. On this site is the Protestant schoolhouse
23-26. Gurtpulnaha: Multiple tenants, yearly tenancy, total area 27 acres, 1 rood, 25 perches. Tenants: John Gardiner (Senior & Junior); Honor Feenarty, widow; Patrick Staunton; William Kavanagh; Thomas Faharty; Michael Cahill; Judith Kilkelly; James Carr; Patrick Carr; Michael Carr; Patrick Mannion; James Flynn; John Carr (Mary).
27-34. Ditto, Rinrea: Three tenants, yearly tenancy, total of 39 acres 3 perches. Tenants: John Gardiner, Mathew Laffey, Philip Connor.
35-70. Knockanebluff: Multiple tenants, yearly tenancy, total of 376 acres, 20 perches. Tenants: Martin Flaherty; James Carr; Thomas Kavanagh; John Carr (Pat); Michael Connor; Thomas Faherty; Eleanor Moore, widow; Thomas Hessian.
81-82. Islands, Wood division, Illannanneel and Illannaneel West: Thomas Fahey, 16 acres, 1 rood, 10 perches, annual rent £6.0.0.
|Date||Townland||Name||Sex||Condition||Age||Occupation||Cause||Medical Attendant||Certified||Registered by||Link|
|06/03/1871||Knockbluff||Mary Forde||F||Married||50 years||Seamstress||Phthisis, 2 years||N||N||Bridget Forde, PAD||Link|
|27/01/1876||Knockbluff||Martin Flaherty||M||Married||87 years||Peasant||Bronchitis & old age, a long time||N||N||Andrew Flaherty||Link|
|01/04/1876||Knockbluff||Mathias Laffey||M||Widower||77 years||Peasant||Debility and exhaustion, 6 weeks||N||N||Martin Laffey, occupier||Link|
|24/01/1878||Knockbluff||Bridget Gooley||F||Widow||60 years||Peasant||Pain in the heart, 4 days||N||N||Denis Gooley, occupier||Link|
|16/03/1878||Knockbluff||Mary Flaherty||F||Spinster||65 years||Peasant||Bronchitis, a long time||N||N||Mary Flaherty, PAD||Link|
|26/05/1878||Knockbluff||John Shaughnessy||M||Married||60 years||Labourer||Hepatitis, 6 months||Y||Bridget Shaughnessy, PAD||Link|
|19/10/1878||Knockbluff||Mary Kavanagh||F||Spinster||6 months||Peasant’s child||Croup, 3 days||Y||Thomas Kavanagh, occupier||Link|
|12/02/1879||Knockbluff||Mary Cavanagh||F||Married||67 years||Peasant||Bronchitis & debility, 3 years||N||N||Thomas Cavanagh, occupier||Link|
|02/05/1879||Knockbluff||Thomas Conneely||M||Bachelor||22 months||Peasant’s child||Convulsions the effects of chronic eczema, one year||N||N||Ellen Conneely, PAD||Link|
|10/06/1879||Knockbluff||Mary Carr||F||Spinster||23 years||Labourer||Hepatitis, 3 weeks||Y||James Carr, occupier||Link|
|08/11/1880||Knockbluff||Michael Connor||M||Widower||60 years||Labourer||Cough and smothering, 7 days||N||N||Philip Connor, PAD||Link|
|06/08/1881||Annadown||Honor Forde||F||Widow||70 years||Peasant||Severe vomiting and exhaustion, 3 days||N||N||Martin Laffey, occupier||Link|
|14/02/1882||Knockbluff||Martin Laffey||M||Bachelor||14 years||Peasant’s son||Fever, 14 days, congestion of the lungs, 6 days||Y||Martin Laffey, PAD||Link|
|02/03/18832||Annadown||Kate Flynn||F||Widow||87 years||Peasant||Catarrh, 2 months||N||N||Michael Kavanagh, PAD||Link|
|10/06/1885||Knockbluff||Mary Conneely||F||Married||60 years||Peasant||Chronic bronchitis with great debility, 2 months||Y||Bridget Conneely, neighbour, PAD||Link|
|27/11/1886||Knockbluff||Ellen Cosgrave||F||Married||37 years||Peasant||Chronic gastralgia, 4 years||Y||John Cosgrave, son, PAD, Cregg||Link|
|01/11/1889||Knockbluff Road||William Garvey||M||Bachelor||45 years||Mendicant||Found dying on the Knockbluff Road from exposure||N||N||Martin Forde, PAD, Knockbluff||Link|
|07/02/1890||Knockbluff||Celia Kavanagh||F||Widow||80 years||Peasant||Weakness and debility, one month||N||N||John Coneely, PAD||Link|
|15/12/1890||Knockbluff||Thomas Kavanagh||M||Widower||83 years||Peasant farmer||Severe cough, one week, and delirium, 2 days||N||N||Andrew Faherty, PAD||Link|
|18/12/1892||Knockbluff||Ellen Shaughnessy||F||Widow||81 years||None||Suffocative bronchitis, 4 weeks||N||N||Martin Shaughnessy, son, PAD||Link|
|28/01/1894||Knockbluff||Mary Cosgrove||F||Married||21 years||Labourer||Weakness after childbirth, 3 weeks||N||N||Francis Cosgrove, widower of deceased, PAD||Link|
|22/02/1895||Knockbluff||Julia Conneely||F||Married||75 years||Wife of labourer||Vomiting and debility||N||N||John Coneely, husband, PAD||Link|
|01/08/1896||Knockbluff||Margaret Faherty||F||Widow||80 years||Widow of farmer||Complaining of debility, 6 months||N||N||John Falherty, grandson, PAD||Link|
|12/01/1897||Knockbluff||Mary Coneelly||F||Spinster||9 months||Daughter of labourer||Gradual debility||N||N||Michael Coneelly, father, PAD||Link|
|13/01/1898||Knockbluff||Denis Forde||M||Widow||86 years||Landholder||Complaining of weakness, 6 months||N||N||Francis Kavanagh, son-in-law, PAD||Link|
|01/09/1898||Annadown||Patrick Stanton||M||Married||75 years||Landholder||Bad stomach, 4 months||N||N||Mary Caulfield, daughter, PAD||Link|
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following 15 households in Annaghdown.
- Rickard Blake lived with his sister-in-law Johanna G Ryan, and servants Kate Murray, Mary Goly and Martin Kilkelly.
- Michael Kavanagh lived with his wife Mary, son William, and servant Patrick Conneely.
- Martin Laffy lived with his wife Bridget, and his sons Mathew and Thomas.
- Julia Staunton lived with her son Patrick Staunton and his wife Julia, and their children: Thomas, Bridget, Michael, Mary, Martin, Ellen, Honor and Patrick.
- Andrew Faherty lived with his wife Mary, and their children John, Mary, Margaret, Michael, Patrick, James, and Thomas, and Andrew’s brother Patrick Faherty.
- William Gardiner lived with his wife Kate, his son John, and his granddaughter Ellen Cavanagh.
- Denis Goaley lived with his wife Mary, and their children John, Darby, Bridget, Catherine, James, Michael, Martin, Margaret, and Francis.
- Thomas Cavanagh lived with his wife Bridget and their children Bridget, Willie, Katie, Sabina and Martin.
- Patrick Carr lived with his daughters Bridget Carr, and Julia Carr, and son-in-law Michael Carr, Mary Anne his granddaughter, and John his grandson.
- John Cosgrove lived with his son Francis , and his daughter-in-law Mary and granddaughter Mary.
- Patrick Flaherty lived with his wife Mary and their children Celia, Richard, James, Mary, Bridget, Martin, Ellen and Michael.
- Francis Kavanagh lived with his wife Mary and their children Mary, William, Denis, James and Norah.
- John Connelly lived with his wife Ellen and their children Bridget, Martin, Ellen and John.
- Martin Shaunessy lived with his wife Bridget, and their children Bridget, Patrick, Julia and Honor.
- Martin Connor lived with his wife Margaret and his uncle Thomas Connor.
House Info from (Form B1): All houses are built and all are inhabited, private dwellings, with walls of stone or concrete. Unless otherwise stated, all the roofs are thatched, wood or other perishable material. With the exception of no. 1, all have 2,3 or 4 rooms and are 2nd or 3rd class dwellings. All are described as having 1 distinct family in each house.
Out-Offices and Farm steadings (Form B2): 13 houses had stables 13 houses had piggeries, 8 houses had cow houses 8 houses had barns, 10 houses had a cart house, and 2 had a dairy. Additional to these, Richard Blake (No.1) had a coach house, harness room, calf house, fowl house, boiling house, turf house and potato house.
In 1911, there are still 15 households in this part of Annaghdown, all with the same families, though some households hold fewer people.
- Richard Blake still headed the Blake household at aged 81, and lived with his son Francis J., daughter-in-law Edith, grandson Richard and grand-daughter Marcella Blake, along with servants Kathleen Hays, Margaret Haren, Mary McMorrow, and Patrick Faherty.
- William Kavanagh lived with his wife Catherine and daughters Mary and Julia Agnes, and 2 servants, Kate Murphy and Michael Kavanagh.
- Matthew Laffy lived with his wife Mary and children Martin, Thomas, Malachy and Patrick.
- Patrick Staunton lived with his wife Gulia and children Martin, Ellen, Norah and Patrick.
- Andrew Faherty lived with his wife Mary and children Michael, Patrick, James, Thomas and Delia.
- William Gardiner lived with his wife Kate and son and daughter-in-law John and Margaret.
- Denis Goaley lived with his wife Mary, sons John and Francis and daughter Margaret.
- Thomas Kavanagh lived with his wife Delia and children Willie, Katie, Sabina and Martin.
- Michael Carr lived with his wife Bridget and children MaryAnne, John, Delia, Peter and Norah.
- Francis Cosgrove lived with his wife Bridget and sons Martin and John.
- Patrick Flaherty lived with his wife Mary and his children Mary, Martin, and Michael.
- Francis Kavanagh lived with his wife Mary, and their children William, Denis, James and Norah.
- Martin Shaughnessy lived with his wife Bridget and son Patrick.
- John Connelly lived with his wife Ellen, his daughter Ellen and son John, and granddaughter Mary Nohilly.
- Martin Connor lived with his wife Margaret.
House and Building Return (Form B1): All houses are built and all are inhabited, private dwellings, with walls of stone or concrete. Unless otherwise stated, all the roofs are thatched, wood or other perishable material. With the exception of no. 1, all have 2,3 or 4 rooms and are 2nd or 3rd class dwellings. All are described as having 1 distinct family in each house.
Out-Offices and Farmsteading Return (Form B2): 13 houses had stables (3 were in Blake’s property); 15 houses had piggeries; 20 houses had cow houses (3 in Blake’s property, 2 household numbers 2, 5 and 6; 11 had fowl houses, 15 houses had barns, and 12 had sheds. Additional to these, Richard Blake (No.1) had a coach house, harness room, calf house, dairy, boiling house, and potato house.
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Annaghdown House, County Galway
Detached two-storey over basement house, built 1868, having L-plan with extra bay of later date inset to re-entrant corner, and with formal north-facing garden front of five bays with full-height canted bay, single bay facing west, and four bays facing south including staircase and entrance. Hipped slated roofs with two chimneystacks lined up with ends of canted bay, and third stack on ridge at east side, with earthenware chimneypots, and wide eaves with cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Roughcast rendered walls. Square-headed timber sliding sash six-over-six pane windows to ground floor and three-over-six pane to first floor. Windows to canted bay are two-over-four pane to first floor and four-over-four pane to ground floor, double to front face. Basement windows are modern replacements. Entrance doorcase is simple with segmental-headed fanlight and double-leaf door, with flight of limestone steps. House set within landscaped grounds. Yard of associated farm buildings, dated 1842, having range which is partly two-storey, with hipped slate and recent corrugated-iron roof with rendered chimneystack, rendered rubble limestone walls and square-headed openings with small-pane timber casement windows and timber battened doors. Yard enclosed by high rubble limestone wall.
This mid-nineteenth-century house was built for convenience so that the entrance front is assymetrical while the rear, garden, façade has the symmetry associated with Georgian buildings. The house is beautifully sited on a small rise in the centre of a pocket-sized park, well chosen for the relationship to the yard, and for the view of Lough Corrib. The retention of the varied timber sash windows, and timber door, enhances this building.
Annaghdown Quay, County Galway
Rubble limestone pier on shore of Lough Corrib, built c. 1875, widening out at lake end and with lower section having concrete surface to east side. Three roughly dressed limestone mooring posts to pier.
This small pier is one of a series on Lough Corrib serving fishermen and providing for the transport of goods. It is well built and its lakeward end is flared to better accommodate vessels. The retention of mooring posts enhances the structure.