Aucloggeen / Áth an Chloigín
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: Áth an Chloigín
English name: Aucloggeen
Meaning: the ford of the little bell
Area: 265 acres, 1 rood, and 36 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Ath Cloigín, Aucloggeen, Aughclogeen, Aughleggeen (Crampton Esq., Cahirmorris),
Aughclogeen (High Constable, 1838), Ath Clogeen, Áth Cloigín (Local Pronunciation), Aughlogin (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Walter Joyce Esq. is proprietor. All under tillage in which is situated Annaghdown Church on its West Side, and a [unable to read]. Roads from Shruil to Galway on which is a [?] number of houses. Police Station in this townland.
Situation: It is situated 1/4 mile E. of Annaghdown Church. Bounded North by Tumnahulla. South by Garrymore. East by Cartoon and West by Tumnahulla and Gurtroe.
1841: 36 houses, 229 people (106 male, 123 female)
1851: 20 houses, 98 people (45 male, 53 female)
1861: 20 houses (incl. 1 unoccupied), 109 people (56 male, 53 female)
1871: 18 houses, 78 people (40 male, 38 female)
1881: 17 houses, 83 people (39 male, 44 female)
1891: 14 houses, 68 people (36 male, 32 female)
1901: 8 houses, 63 people (29 male, 34 female)
1911: 3 houses, 43 people (21 male, 22 female)
2011: 27 houses (incl. 7 unoccupied), 59 people (30 male, 29 female)
Aucloggeen is recorded in the 1824 Tithe Applotment Books as the property of P Kirwan Esq. Occupiers listed are Murphy, Burke, Silk & Partners, who held a total of 101 acres.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records the following 15 heads of household in Aucloggeen: Thaddeus Shaughnessy, Thomas Allen, James Kilkelly, Patrick Burke, Thomas Silk, Martin Kilkelly, Honoria Kilkelly, William Allen (Betty), John Kellehan, James King, Mark Keenan, James Feeny, Bridget Mulrooney, John Robinson, and Honoria Kelehan. Patrick Wade also held an office and land.
Valuation House & Field Books
The 1844 field book for Aucloggeen lists a Church; a house and offices held by John Robinson; and office and a corn mill held by Patrick Wade. The heavily-annotated 1845 house book records Patrick Wade Esqr. as occupier of a corn mill with kiln and two offices, with a mill wheel of 12 ft diameter and 4ft breadth; a 4 ft fall of water; 24 buckets; a pair of grinding stones, two fans, three sets of elevators, a sifter. The mill was worked for six months in the year for 14 hours per day. A note records that “This Mill was Burned on Friday Nov. the 4th 53”.
The 1853 house book records the same information as Griffith’s Valuation above, except for the church where Rev. Michael Seymour (Curate) is entered as the occupier.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following eleven households in Aucloggeen.
- Kate Creaven (51) [née Broderick], farmer, widow; her sons Thomas (22), Patrick (20), farmer’s sons; and daughter Mary (16), farmer’s daughter.
- John Donnellan (56), farmer; his wife Margaret (40) [née O’Brien, Corrandrum]; and children Norah (18), Margaret (16), farmer’s daughters; Timothy (14), farmer’s son; John (12), Patrick (10), Mary (8), Winifred (6), Delia (4), all scholars; Michael (3), and Joseph (1).
- Patrick King (67), farmer; his wife Bridget (47) [née Spelman], dressmaker; and son Patrick (20), farmer’s son.
- James Ward (46), tinsmith; his wife Mary (45); and children Winifred (20), general servant (domestic), Henry (17), agricultural labourer; James (11), Michael (8), and Nannie (5), scholars.
- Mary Kelleghan (72) [née Hession], farmer, widow; her son Patrick (38), farmer’s son; John Lackin (60), mendicant, born in Co. Sligo; and Catherine Lackin (50), mendicant, born in Co. Dublin.
- Anne Allen (65), farmer, widow; her son Michael (40), farmer’s son; daughter-in-law Bridget (40) [née Judge]; and grandson Thomas (7), scholar.
- Thomas Jas Kelly (50), farmer; his wife Kate (42) [née Ruane, Carnmore]; and children Julia (17), Maggie (15), farmer’s daughters; Mary (10), Winnie (9), Tommy (8), Stephen (7), scholars; Nonnie (6), and Girtey (3).
- Thomas Kelly (65), farmer, not married.
- John Burke (40), farmer; his wife Margaret (34) [née Walsh, Liscananaun]; and children Mary (9), John (6), scholars; and Winnie (2).
- John Kelly (50), farmer and publican, widower; and his children Nannie (24), barmaid; Margaret (23), farmer’s daughter; James (21), farmer’s son; Agnes (20), Mary (18), farmer’s daughters; Emily (15), Winnie (13), John (9), Teresa (8), and Thomas (5), scholars.
- Mary Smyth (20), farmer; and her brother Thomas (19), farm labourer.
Each house was constructed of stone and each had a thatched roof. Eight of the houses were of the second class, seven of these having between two and four rooms and three front windows each; the eighth had between seven and nine rooms and six front windows. The remaining three houses were of the third class; one of these had one room and one front window; one had between two and four rooms and one front window; and one had between two and four rooms and two front windows.
Out-offices recorded in the townland were eight stables, six cow-houses, a calf-house, nine piggeries, eight fowl-houses, five barns, and five cart-houses.
There are eight households recorded in 1911. Three of the households from 1901 are gone: Thomas Kelly died when his house was destroyed by fire on 19 April 1907, while the Burke and Smyth households are also gone.
- John Kelly (60), farmer, widower; and his children James (28), farmer’s son; Mary (24), Emily (22), Winifred (20), John (19), Teresa (13), and Thomas (12), both scholars.
- Thomas Kelly (63), farmer; his wife Kate (58) [née Ruane, Carnmore], married for 32 years with seven children born alive and still living; and children Tommy (18), Stephen (16), farmer’s sons; Mary (20), Winnie (19), cook, and Norah (13), scholar.
- Michael Allen (50), farmer; his wife Bridget (60) [née Judge], married for 20 years with two children born alive and one still living; and son Thomas Allen (17). [Note that Thomas appears from records to have been a grandson of this couple].
- Mary Kelighan (81) [née Hession], farmer, widow, married for 56 years with seven children born alive and six still living; her son Patrick (50), farmer; and boarder Kathleen Lackin (60), born in Dublin, married for 42 years with seven children born alive and one still living.
- Kate Creaven (60) [née Broderick], farmer, widow, married for 30 years with seven children born alive and still living; her son Tom (31), farmer’s son; daughter-in-law Maggie (20) [née Hession, Slievefin], married for two years with one child born alive and still living; ad granddaughter Kate (1).
- John Donnellan (51), farmer; his wife Margaret (49) [née O’Brien, Corrandrum], married for 30 years with ten children born alive and still living; and children Noria (28), Maggie (26), Tim (24), Pat (20), both farmer’s sons; Mary (18), Delia (14), Michael (12), and Joseph (10), both scholars.
- James Warde (60), tinsmith; his wife Mary (62), married for 34 years with eight children born alive and seven still living; and children Michael (18), and Annie (16), both scholars.
- Patrick King (79), farmer; his wife Bridget [née Spelman] (64), married for 41 years with eleven children born alive and three still living; son Pat (30), farmer’s son; and boarder Pat Newell (40), blacksmith.
Each house was of the second class, constructed of stone and each had a thatched roof. One house had between seven and nine rooms and had six front windows; the remaining seven had between two and four rooms, three having four front windows and four having three front windows.
One further unoccupied house is recorded on the land of Thomas Smyth.
Out-offices recorded are seven stables, one coach-house, seven cow-houses, seven piggeries, one fowl-house, three barns, two turf-houses, four cart-houses.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.