Carraghy / Na Cathracha
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: Na Cathracha
English name: Carraghy
Meaning: the small stone forts.
Area: 271 acres and 28 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Carthreachaidhe, Carr-achad, stony field, Carr-achad, Carraghy, Carraghey (B. S. Sketch Map), Carraghareagh (Barony Map), Carraghy, Carraghee (Cahill, Esq., Annaghdown), Caraghareagh (County Map), Carraugh (High Constable 1838), Carragh – broken or scabby (Local), Carragh (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: It is the property of Boyce Esq. A gent [Unable to read.] Galway. There are 2 Cahirs or forts [Unable to read.] [Unable to read.] North of the Townlands. S. side [Unable to read.] the road from Galway to Tuam [Unable to read.] through its East side. Nearly parallel to its East boundary. All under tillage. A small portion of its S. W. side subject to Winter floods.
Situation: It is situated 2 miles East of Annaghdown Church. Bounded on the North by Racoonagh. West by Slievefin. South by Cauraun and Carheeny and East by Lackagh parish.
1841: 9 houses, 73 people (37 male, 36 female)
1851: 6 houses, 37 people (17 male, 20 female)
1861: 4 houses, 30 people (15 male, 15 female)
1871: 5 house, 20 people (11 male, 9 female)
1881: 8 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 35 people (23 male, 12 female)
1891: 6 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 31 people (18 male, 13 female)
1901: 5 houses (incl. 1 unoccupied), 23 people (15 male, 8 female)
1911: 5 houses, 27 people (14 male, 13 female)
2011: 29 houses (incl. 6 uninhabited), 66 people (30 male, 36 female)
Carragh (sic.) is recorded in the 1824 Tithe Applotment Books as the property of Boyce Esq. Occupiers listed are Pat Glynn & Partners.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records William Clancy, Martin Tarpy and Martin Neill as each occupying a house and land; while William Clayton held a herd’s house, office and land. John G. Holmes held land with an office thereon.
Valuation House & Field Books
The September 1845 house book for Carraghy records Danl. Desmond Esqr. as occupier of a mail coach stables.
The October 1853 house book for Carraghy shows Marten Tarpy (sic.) as occupier of a house and smith’s forge; Thomas Nolan as occupier of a house; William Clancy as occupier of a house, return (kitchen), stables, barn, and offices; William Clayton as occupier of a house and stables, John G. Holmes Esqr as occupier of an office; and Marten Neil as occupier of a house.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following four households in Carraghy.
- Patrick Fahey (45), farmer; his wife Kate [née Collins] (47); sons Martin (25), Patrick (20), Walter (16), farmer’s sons; and daughter Ellen (13), scholar.
- Ellen Hession (40) [née Browne], farmer, widow, born in England; sons John (20), Patrick (15), farmer’s sons; daughter Maggie (18), farmer’s daughter; and sons Martin (13) and James (10), scholars.
- Patrick Burke (68), farmer; his wife Ellen (65) [née Leonard], farmer’s wife; and son Thomas (22), farmer’s son.
- Christopher Clancy (45), farmer; his wife Margaret (42) [née Duggan], and children William (20), farmer’s son; John (16), Maggie (12), Dan (10), Kathleen (7), scholars; and Christopher (4).
Each house walls of stone, roofs of thatch and between two and four rooms each. Two had three front windows each and were of the second class, while the other two had two front windows each and were of the third class. An additional vacant house was held by Thomas Newell; no details are recorded of this house.
Out-offices recorded in the townland were a stable, four cow-houses, three piggeries, three barns, and two sheds.
Five households are recorded in the 1911 census.
- Patrick Fahy (69), farmer; his wife Katherine (72) [née Collins], married for 42 years with eight children born alive and four still living; son Walter (29), farmer’s son; daughter-in-law Katherine (35) [née Collins], married for two years with one child born alive and still living; and granddaughter Mary (10 months).
- Ellen Hession (55), farmer; and sons John (30), Martin (22), and James (21), farmer’s sons.
- Ellen Burke (78) [née Leonard], farmer, widow; her son Thomas (30), farmer’s son; daughter-in-law Kate (23) [née Coen], married for two years with one child born alive and still living; and grandson Patrick (9 months).
- Christopher Clancy (57), farmer; his wife Margaret (50) [née Duggan], married for 31 years with eleven children born alive and ten still living; and children John (27), Daniel (19), farmer’s sons; Christopher (13), Henry (9), scholars, and Kathleen (17); and niece-in-law Margaret Forde (11), scholar.
- Patrick Newell (44), farmer; his wife Catherine (35) [née Joyce], married for 9 years with four children born alive and still living; and children Nora (8), Mary (7), Bridget (5), scholars; and Thomas (3).
All five houses were of the second class with stone walls. One had a roof of slate, iron or tiles, between seven and nine rooms, and five front windows. The other four houses had thatched roofs and three front windows each; three had between two and four rooms and one had five or six rooms.
Out-offices recorded are seven stables, six cow-houses, one calf-house, five piggeries, two fowl-houses, five barns, and one shed.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.