Barravilla / Barr an Bhile
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: Barr an Bhile
English name: Barravilla
Meaning: the high ground of the sacred tree
Area: 93 acres, 1 rood and 37 perches
Field names in this townland: None recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Names: Barr a’ bhile, Barravilla, Bar a’ bhilla, Baunalloa (B. S. Sketch Map), Boravilla (Cahill Esq., Annaghdown), Bonahvilla (High Constable 1838), Baunavilla (Local), Barrahivelymore (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Proprietor Staunton Esq. All under tillage. There are two roads [Unable to read.] through the townland, one through the east and the other the [Unable to read.].
Situation: It is situated 1 mile South of Annagdown Church. Bounded North and West by Creg. South by Garrymore and East by Glebe and Drimbaun.
1841: No houses
1851: No houses
1861: No houses
1871: 1 house, 5 people (3 male, 2 female)
1881: 1 house, 7 people (4 male, 2 female)
1891: 1 house, 3 people (1 male, 2 female)
1901: 1 house, 3 people (1 male, 2 female)
1911: 1 house, 3 people (1 male, 2 female)
2011: 8 houses (incl. 3 vacant), 12 people (7 male, 5 female)
1821 Tithe Applotment Books
The Tithe Applotment Books do not appear to record any occupants or landholders for Barravilla.
1840s Griffith’s House Books & 1855 Griffith’s Valuation
There are no houses recorded by Griffith’s Valuation in Barravilla. The entire townland was held by Francis Blake from Pierce Joyce. No entries appear in the 1840s version of the Valuation Office House Books.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records one house in Barravilla: Thomas Smyth (66), tenant farmer, married; his wife Kate (63), married; and daughter Winnie (22), farmer’s daughter, not married. Thomas and Kate could not read, while Winnie could read and write. All three were born in County Galway and spoke both Irish and English.
The house was of the second class, with walls of stone, comprised of between two and four rooms, a roof of slate, iron or tiles, and had three front windows. There were two out-offices on the holding: a cow-house and a piggery.
The 1911 Census of Ireland records one house in Barravilla: Kate Smyth (74), farmer, widow; her daughter Mary (35), single; and son Thomas (32), farmer’s son, single. Mary could read and write, while Kate nor Thomas could not read. All three were born in County Galway and spoke Irish and English.
The house was of the second class, with walls of stone, comprised of between two and four rooms, a roof of slate, iron or tiles, and had two front windows. There were four out-offices on the holding: a stable, a cow-house, a piggery and a fowl-house.