Corrandrum, or Cor an Droma in Irish, means ‘the bend of the ridge’, with ‘the stone wall of the ridge’ suggested as an alternative by the Irish Placenames Commission. In 1904, £237 was granted for the building of Corrandrum National School on an expenditure of £355 10s. The schoolhouse was to be built according to Plan No. 2, to accommodate a maximum attendance of 80 pupils. The first day of registration led to bigger numbers than this. The school was originally built on land donated by John Burke and his family, Corrandrum, in the early 1900s, and was opened to pupils in April 1907. It was a new school in the area – previously the children of the area attended Bawnmore, Corrandulla, Lackagh or Corofin schools.