Mullaghadrum / Mullach an Droma
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: Mullach an Droma
English name: Mullaghadrum
Meaning: the summit of the ridge; droim is a ridge, and mullach is a hilltop.
Area: 35 acres, 3 roods and 11 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Mullaghadrum, Mullach a’ droma, Mullaghdrum (B. S. Sketch Map), Mullaghadrum (Barony map), Mallaghadrum (County Map), Mullaghadrum (Local), Mallaghdrume (Local), Molaghdrom (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Proprietor Francis Blake, Cregg Castle. All under tillage. The Road from Galway to Headford forms its N. boundary, and also a bye road from ???.
Situation: It is situated 1 mile N. W. of Annaghdown Chapel. Bounded North Gurtroe. South by Drumgiffin. East Drumgiffin and West by Carrowbeg South.
1841: 16 houses, 106 people (53 male, 52 female)
1851: 15 houses, 82 people (34 male, 48 female)
1861: 12 houses, 68 people (28 male, 40 female)
1871: 13 houses, 66 people (26 male, 40 female)
1881: 11 houses, 57 people (23 male, 34 female)
1891: 10 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 50 people (18 male, 32 female)
1901: 10 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 37 people (17 male, 20 female)
1911: 8 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 25 people (11 male, 14 female)
2011: 10 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 18 people (10 male, 8 female)
Tithe Applotment Books
Mulloghdrum (sic.) is recorded in the 1824 Tithe Applotment Books, with occupiers listed as Rev. R. Hardiman and Mr. Francis Brennan.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records the following heads of household in Mullaghadrum: Rev. Thomas Keaveney, Thomas Fahy, John O’Brien, Bryan Neill, Mary Clowe, John Ahern, Mary Wade, and Michael Clowe. Patrick Wade also held land in the townland. Most of the occupants were tenants under Francis Blake. Thomas Fahy, John O’Brien, Mary Wade and Michael Clowe were tenants of Patrick Wade, himself a tenant of Francis Blake.
Valuation House & Field Books
The October 1853 house book (page 1, page 2) for Mullaghdrum shows further households not recorded in the published Griffith’s Valuation. The following householders are recorded: Rev. Thomas Keavney, Thomas Fahey, Marten Hughes, John O’Brien, Mary Qualter, Bryan Neil, Mary Clowe, John Ahern, Patt Melville, Bridget Buckley, Gill Scully, Mary Wade, Patt Long, Michael Clowe, and Mary Clowe.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following households in Mullaghadrum.
- Mary Hughes (57) [née Finnerty], farmer, widow; and her son Michael (25), farmer’s son.
- Mary O’Brien (45), farmer, widow; and her niece Bridget McCabe (32), born in England, recorded as deaf and dumb.
- James Healy (54) [O’Neill], agricultural labourer; his wife Bridget (36) [née Staunton, Mullaghadrum]; and children Anne (12), Maggie (10), Michael (6), scholars; John (3), and Thomas (11 months).
- William Neill (75), farmer; his wife Margaret (64) [née Lardner]; son John (32), farmer’s son; and daughters Kate (26) and Ellen (24), farmer’s daughters.
- Thomas Staunton (70), thatcher, widower; and his daughters Mary (32), cook (domestic), and Margaret (25), servant (domestic).
- John Newell (60), blacksmith; his wife Bridget (54) [née Collins]; and children Patrick (32), John (30), Michael (27), blacksmiths; Kate (25), servant (domestic); Norah (14), Mark (13), and Peter (10), scholars.
- Patrick Hughes (40), farmer; his wife Margaret (38) [née O’Neill, Mullaghadrum], and daughter Winifred (8), scholar.
- Michael Clowe (70), bootmaker, widower; and his daughter Margaret (26), seamstress.
- William Shaughnessy (35), farmer; his wife Mary (32), born in England [née Martin, Mullaghadrum]; and daughters Mary (4), and Margaret (1).
Four of the houses are recorded as being of the third class, with each of these having a thatched roof, two front windows and between two and four rooms. The remaining five houses were of the second class; one of these had a roof of slate, iron, or tiles, and the other four were thatched. Two had four front windows and the remaining three had three front windows. All had between two and four rooms, except for one which had five or six rooms.
One further unoccupied house was recorded on land held by Harward Wade.
Out-offices recorded in the townland were three stables, three cow-houses, two calf-houses, seven piggeries, seven fowl-houses, four barns, and three cart-houses.
The following seven households are recorded in 1911.
- Pat Hughes (54), farmer; his wife Margret (50) [née O’Neill], married for 20 years with one child born alive and still living; and daughter Winnifred (18).
- James O’Neill (68), farmer; his wife Bridget (50) [née Staunton], married for 26 years, with eight children born alive and six still living; daughter Maggie (20); sons Michael (16), farmer’s son; John (14), and Tommey (6), scholars; and daughters Katie (25), and Annie (23).
- Mary O’Brien (70), shop keeper; and her niece Bridget McHale (50), born in England, recorded as being deaf and dumb.
- John Neill (45), farmer; and his sister Ellen (33).
- Michael Cloe (86), famer, widower; his son-in-law Pat Stanton (42) [from Gortroe], farmer; daughter Margaret Stanton (37), married for four years with one child born alive and still living; and granddaughter Mary Ellen (2).
- Mary Stantion (40), farmer’s daughter.
- Bridget Newell (65) [née Collins], farmer, widow, married for 39 years with twelve children born alive and ten still living; and her children John (38), blacksmith; Michael (34), blacksmith; Norah (25); and Peter (21), postman.
Four of the houses were of the second class; three of these had thatched roofs and one had a roof of slate, iron, or tiles. Each had between two and four rooms and had three front windows. The remaining three houses were of the third class, with thatched roofs, between two and four rooms each, and two front windows.
One unoccupied house is recorded on land held by Michael Elwood of Mullaghuttery.
Out-offices recorded are three stables, four cow-houses, six piggeries, two fowl-houses, a barn, a turf-house, and two cart-houses.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.