Glebe / An Ghléib
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: An Ghléib
English name: Glebe
Area: 33 acres and 8 perches
Field names in this townland: None recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Names: Glebe (B. S. Sketch Map), Glebe (Local), Glebe and Glebe House (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Rector’s Seat, who has it as a living. All under tillage. A road runs N. and South through the townland.
Situation: It is situated 1 mile S. E. of Annaghdown Church. Bounded N. by [Unable to read.]. South by Drumbaun. East by Slievefin and West by Creg.
1841: 2 houses, 12 people (4 male, 8 female)
1851: 3 houses (incl. 1 uninhabited), 10 people (4 male, 6 female)
1861: 2 houses, 15 people (2 male, 13 female)
1871: 3 houses, 21 people (8 male, 13 female)
1881: 1 houses, 4 people (2 male, 2 female)
1891: 1 house, 3 people (1 male, 2 female)
1901: 1 house, 2 people (1 male, 1 female)
1911: 1 house, 2 people (2 female)
2011: 9 houses (incl. 1 vacant), 28 people (14 male, 14 female)
1821 Tithe Applotment Books
The Tithe Applotment Books make no mention of the Glebe, likely because glebe land was exempt from tithes.
1840s Griffith’s House Books & 1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records two houses in Glebe townland: Rev. Weldon Ashe held the Glebe house, valued £10, and was also the lessor of a further house occupied by Michael Hanly, valued at 10 shillings. Rev. Ashe was also the lessor of a school, valued at 15 shillings.
The July 1845 house book records Revd. Michael Seymour as occupier of the Glebe, having succeeded Revd. Richard Marley, whose name is struck out. The total valuation on the house was £13-6s-0d, with the price based on the dwelling, basement, return, stables and coach house, cow house, stables and store. A cow shed was recorded as ‘down’ during the revision of the book. The 1853 version of the book is in agreement with Griffith’s Valuation, except that Rev. Michael Seymour had not yet been succeeded by Rev. Weldon Ashe. Rev. Seymour is recorded as occupier of the Glebe House & offices, and the Parochial School House, while Michael Hanly is recorded as occupying a house.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records one house in Glebe townland: Patrick J. Cunningham (29), farmer, lived with his wife Mary [née Swift] (33). Both were born in Co. Galway, could read and write, and spoke Irish and English.
The house was of the first class, having walls of stone, a roof of slate, iron or tiles, 13 or more rooms, and five front windows. The out offices comprised a stable, cow-house, piggery, boiling house, and barn.
The 1911 Census of Ireland again records one house in the townland: Mary Cunningham [née Swift] (40), farmer, a widow, lived with her daughter Delia (8). Both were born in Co. Galway and neither spoke Irish.
The house was of the first class, having walls of stone, a roof of slate, iron or tiles, between 7 and 9 rooms, and six front windows. There were ten out-offices recorded: a stable, cow-house, calf-house, dairy, piggery, fowl-house, boiling-house, barn, potato-house, and a shed.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.