Bunatober / Bun an Tobair
Compiled by Gerry Morgan
Irish name: Bun an Tobair
English name: Bunatober
Meaning: The low ground of the well (from www.logainm.ie)
Area: 463 acres,3 roods and 32 perches (townlands.ie) / 461 acres, 2 roods and 23 perches (Griffiths Valuation)
Field Names: Parknaliddaun (view expressed that Bunatober and Parknaliddaun were separate townlands at one stage). Name with various spellings appears in some baptismal & marriage records. Is name related to a burial ground?
- Townland contains a Caher (a ringfort). Townland name in Down Survey of 1670 was Cair Owen. “In low-lying grassland. Almost circular cashel (D 50m) defined by a poorly preserved drystone wall best preserved from SE through S to W. Numerous gaps in the enclosing element appear modern. An earthwork (GA056-031—-) lies c. 60m to W. The above description is derived from the published ‘Archaeological Inventory of County Galway Vol. II – North Galway’. Compiled by Olive Alcock, Kathy de hÓra and Paul Gosling (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1999).” [Extract from Geohive.ie Map of National Monuments. Feature is located ~ 100 m behind Morris thatched cottage.]
- “On a slight rise, 60m W of a ringfort (GA056-030—-). A low semicircular mound of earth and stone (N-S 10m) partially truncated along E side by a field wall. According to local tradition, it was a place of burial. The above description is derived from the published ‘Archaeological Inventory of County Galway Vol. II – North Galway’. Compiled by Olive Alcock, Kathy de hÓra and Paul Gosling (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1999).” [Extract from Geohive.ie Map of National Monuments. Feature is located behind Morris thatched cottage]
- Dabach Cuana (Irish), Doaghcooney (Eng.) , Tr. St. Cuanna’s Well, Otherforms: DoughTubber Coona, Dough Tubber Naomh Cuna. Des,: A holy well famed for stations on Sundays and Wednesdays.
- Also contains a Lime Kiln, a Corn Mill and a Mill Pond.
Information from the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
1. Thatched cottage. “Detached five-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, having windbreak to entrance, and single-storey extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with exposed scollops and decorative knotting to ridge, rendered copings and one rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with render plinth to sill level, render parallel quoins to front corners of house and windbreak, and render eaves course. Square-headed window openings with decorative render surrounds and replacement timber casement windows. Square-headed timber sheeted half-door to entrance. Set parallel to road with single-storey outbuilding to west having random rubble walls, painted timber boundary fence and enclosed garden to north-west and field stone boundary wall to south-east.
2. Mill-manager’s House. “Detached two-storey house, built c.1830, having five-bay ground floor and three-bay first floor, with two-storey mid-twentieth-century extension to rear. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods, and three rendered brick chimneystacks. Lime-rendered random rubble stone walls. Square-headed window openings with two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows and painted stone sills. Round-headed doorway to central bay with block-and-start surround and double-leaf panelled timber door with plain fanlight. Watermill adjacent to house. Monopitch-roofed outbuilding to south-east, and derelict two-storey outbuilding to rear of house. Building renovated early 1980s. Cogs from water mill taken to local museum.”
3. Thatched cottage. “Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, with dormer attic, and having single-storey twentieth- century extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with decorative raised ridge with exposed scolloping, rendered chimneystack, and rendered copings to gables. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with replacement timber casement windows throughout, and painted stone sills. Glazed timber panelled entrance door. Set parallel to road with rendered boundary wall and piers and metal gate. Farmyard to rear with metal shed and two-storey outbuilding to south with corrugated-iron roof and rendered walls.”
4. Thatched cottage. “Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, having late twentieth-century flat-roofed entrance porch to front, and three-bay single-storey late twentieth-century extension to rear. Pitched thatched roof with flush ridge having wire mesh to eaves, rendered copings to gables, and rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with parallel quoins to corners, and front elevation having render plinth and render brackets to eaves course. Square-headed window openings with replacement uPVC windows, painted stone sills and decorative render surrounds. Timber square-headed door to porch. House set perpendicular to road with garden to side, rendered boundary wall with decorative metal gates to road, and three-bay two-storey outbuilding to south with pitched corrugated-iron roof and rendered walls.”
5. Water mill. “Detached six-bay two-storey L-plan watermill, built c.1840, having pitched concrete tiled roof with aluminium rainwater goods and rendered chimneystack, limewashed random rubble walls to front and sides, cement rendered to rear, square-headed openings with replacement timber windows and with double-leaf timber battened doors to ground floor. Millrace to west. Natural spring to south-west.”
6. Thatched cottage. “Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800, having late twentieth-century addition to rear. Pitched thatched roof with wire mesh, exposed scolloping and decorative knotting to ridge, rendered chimneystack and rendered copings to gables. Rendered walls with rendered plinth to sill level, parallel quoins and render eaves course. Square-headed window openings with two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, painted stone sills and decorative render surrounds with stone-chip facing. Glazed timber panelled entrance door. House set parallel to road with garden to front having random rubble boundary wall to road with rendered gate piers. Two single-storey outbuildings to south having pitched corrugated-iron roofs and rendered walls.”
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Bun a Tobair, Bunatober B. S. Sketch Map, Bunatubber Barony Map, Bunatobber County Map, Bonnytubber Crampton, Esq., Cahermorris, Bonatober High Constable 1838, Bunnatobber Local, Bunatober Rector of Annaghdown.
Description: Major John Kirwan, Esq., Castle Hacket, Proprietor. All under tillage with the exception of a few portions rocky pasture. A portion of [Unable to read.] [Unable to read.] is subject to Winter floods. There is a [Unable to read.] station near its east side. 107 feet above [Unable to read.], and a [Unable to read.] on its West extremity. Called [Unable to read.] [Unable to read.]. There is a large village of houses near the South side of the Townland.
Situation: It is situated 1 mile North of Currandulla Chapel. Bounded on the North by Cahermorris. West by Kilcoony. [Unable to read.] South by Glanrevagh and East by Bunnahevina More.
Down Survey (1670)
Name: Cair Owen
1641 Owner(s): Lynch, Sir Roebuck (Catholic)
1670 Owner(s): Legg, Colonel William (Protestant)
County: Galway; Barony: Clare; Parish: Annaghdoon
Unprofitable land: 3 plantation acres. Profitable land: 75 plantation acres.
Forfeited: 75 plantation acres
1841: 12 inhabited houses, 78 people (50 male, 28 female)
1851: 22 inhabited houses + 1 uninhabited house, 146 people (74 male, 72 female)
1861: 20 inhabited houses, 125 people (70 male, 55 female)
1871: 19 inhabited houses, 114 people (56 male, 58 female)
1881: 21 inhabited houses, 121 people (65 male, 56 female)
1891: 18 inhabited houses, 103 people (54 male,49 female)
1901: 19 inhabited houses, 103 people (53 male, 50 female)
1911: 19 inhabited houses, 84 people (47 male, 37 female)
2011: 46 houses, total no. (6 vacant), 136 people (73 male, 63 female)
1821 Tithe Applotment Books
The Tithe Applotment Books list John Nevin as tenant with 19 acres plus 13 acres of “Bottoms”; Ja Cunningham and T Noon as co-tenants of 4 acres, 10 acres of “Bottoms” and 34 acres of “Course Park”; John Farragher with 5 cares 1 rood; Pat Cunningham with 32 acres and Mrs Fury with 20 acres and 23 acres of “Bottoms”. The total levy was £7 10s 4 3/4d with was divided equally between the Rev R. Marley (?) and J Kirwan Esq. (Landlord).
1840 Griffith’s House Books & 1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Simon Fury is listed in the House Books with a house, offices and corn mill valued at £4 14s on 8 December 1843.
In the House Books, dated 8 September 1845, John Farragher is listed as occupying a dwelling, stable barn & cow house, a car house and a piggery. Simon Fury occupied a dwelling, a car house and a barn. He also had a corn mill, a “return” and a kiln. Details of the water wheel and facilities are given. Michael Greany occupied a dwelling, a stable, a barn, a cow house and a car house. James Neven occupied a dwelling, a stable & barn, a car house, stables and a cow house. William Cunningham occupied a dwelling, a barn, a car house and stables. Peter Greaney occupied a dwelling.
In the House Books, dated November 1853, the following are listed as occupying a house and offices: Peter Greany, William Morris, John Burke, Marten Burke, Thomas Lenihan, Michael Carr, Marten Spellman, John Farraher, Michael Greany, Eleanor Navin, Thomas Nooan, and William Cunningham
The following are listed as occupying a house: Mary Mac Cue, Michael Greany, Marten Burke, Patt Mc Cue, Marten Lenihan, John Farraher, William Hannan, and John Brennan.
Michael Cunningham’s occupancy was not specified.
Simon Fury is listed as occupying a house, offices and a corn mill.
In 1855 Griffith’s Valuations the following are listed as house occupiers in Bunatober:
In 1855 Griffith’s Valuation, the following 19 people are listed as tenants with houses in Bunatober:
Peter Greany, Mary McCue, Michael Greany, Patrick McCue, Maretin Lenihan, William Morris, John Burke, Martin Burke, William Hannan, Thomas Lenihan Michael Carr, Martin Spellman, John Farraher, Simon Fury, Michael Greany, Eleanor Navin, Michl.Cunningham, Thomas Nooan, Wm. Cunnigham. In addition, Cecil Crampton was a tenant of 5a 3r 36p of land only.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following 103 individuals living in 19 households in Bunatober.
- Patrick Fury (58) lived with his wife, Delia [née Cunningham, Goldenpark] (45), son, Patrick (22) and servants, Francis Browne (40), Mary Cavanagh (21) and Martin Warde (20).
- Peter Greany (60) lived with his wife, Julia [née Qualter, Liscananaun] (48), sons, Patrick (24), James (20), Martin (13), Michael (8) and daughters Mary (22) and Catherine (10).
- James Greany (62) lived with his wife, Julia [née Scahill, Castlecreevy] (62), son Michael (31), daughter, Mary (26), daughter-in-law Mary [née Canavan, Glenrevagh] (28) and grandson, James Monaghan [father: Patrick Monaghan, Ardgaineen and mother: Bridget Monaghan].
- John Nevin (50) lived with his sisters, Mary (48) and Bridget (46).
- Michael Cunningham (60) lived with his wife, Bridget [née Forde, Lisheenavalla] (55), sons, John (30), Andrew (26), William (24), Denis (15), and daughter, Sarah (14) and granddaughter, Bridget Greany [born 1898, father Martin Greaney, Manusrevagh, mother, Mary Cunningham, Bunatober, married 1895]
- Thomas Noone (92), a widower [wife, Bridget née Cunningham] lived with his son, Francis (52), daughter-in-law, Mary [née Lenihan] (52), grandson, Thomas (20) and granddaughter, Catherine (16)
- Mary Cunningham (74) [née Lynch, widow of Patrick Cunningham] lived with her son, Michael (32) and daughter, Bridget (34).
- Mary Faraher [née Grealy, widow of Michael] (70) lived with her sons, John (40), Thomas (38), Michael (34), and daughter, Mary (25).
- Thady Quinn (52) lived with his wife, Winifred [née Lenahan] (50), son, Patrick (28), and daughters, Winifred (19), Margaret (16), Anne (13).
- Mary Faraher (59) [née Grealy, widow of Martin Faraher] lived with her sons, John (32), Thomas (26) and daughters, Honor (24) [baptismal record lists address as Park Liddane], Bridget (22) and Margaret (20) [baptismal record lists address as Carmorris].
- James Greany (46) lived with his wife, Honor [Nora, née Kyne/Coyne] (34), son, Peter (3), daughters, Margaret (5), Mary (1). Martin Commins (22) was recorded as a visitor on the day of the census.
- Julia Greany (60) [née Nolan, Clooneen, widow of Patrick Greany] lived with her son, Martin (35), daughter, Catherine (26), daughter-in-law, Hannah [née Fahy], (29) and grandson, Patrick (1). [All records give address as Cahermorris – house is on the boundary with Cahermorris.]
- Martin Morris (60) lived with his wife, Ellen [née Canavan] (52), sons, Michael (20), John (15), Martin (12), and daughters, Mary (22), Sarah (9) [baptismal address given as Parknalid].
- Bridget Hannon (72) [née Cunningham, widow of Patrick Hanin (sic)] lived with her son-in-law, Patrick Dooley (38), daughter, Mary Dooley (40) [née Hannon, baptismal address given as Park Lidane], and grandson, Michael (2) [baptismal address given as Parkliddane].
- Bessie Burk (sic) (30) [née Griffin, wife of William Burke] lived with her sons, William Burke (10), Daniel Burke (8), Martin Burke (6) [baptismal name listed as Bourke, address listed as Parknaliddane], John (-) Burke, daughter, Mary Burke (4) [birth address listed as Cahermorris], and sister-in-law, Bridget Burke (50).
- John Burke (50) lived with his wife, Catherine [née Burke] (44), his sons, Patrick (22), Edmond (15), Martin (13), daughters, Bridget (17), Honour (sic) [baptismal record lists address as Parc na Sul, birth record lists address as Bunnatubber] (10). Patrick Burke (84) was recorded as a visitor on the day of the census.
- Michael Noone (45) lived with his wife, Bridget [née Forde, Bunatubber] (50), and stepson, John Lenihan (25) [father Thomas Lenihan?]. [Church marriage record lists address as Parknalydane.]
- John Carr (55) lived with his sisters, Mary (53), Winifred (34) and Margaret (30).
- Thomas Mctigue (sic) [a widower, wife Mary Kelly] (80) lived with his daughter, Mary (22) [civil birth record for Mary McTigue, Castlehacket, 1877, daughter of Thomas McTigue].
There was one first class house (Patrick Fury), fifteen second class houses and three third class houses listed in the census return. The first class house had a roof of slate, iron or tile while all the remaining houses had roofs of thatch, wood or other perishable material. All had walls of stone, brick or concrete. There was one house with seven, one with six, and one with four windows at the front. Thirteen houses had three front windows and three had 2 front windows. Most homes also had a stable, cow/calf house, piggery, fowl house and barn.
There were still 19 houses in Bunatober in 1911.
- Hannah Greaney [house 12 in 1901], by now a widow, lived with her sons, Patrick (11), Michael (9) and daughter, Mary (7)
- James Greaney [house 11 in 1901] (55) and his wife, Nora (48), lived with sons Peter Michael (12), Martin Joseph (9), Patrick (6), James (5), and daughters Retia (sic) (14), Mary (10). They were married for 16 years with 6 children born and 6 living.
- Mary Farragher (86) [house 10 in 1901], a widow, lived with sons John (45), Thomas (38) and daughter, Bridget (32). She was married for 50 years with 6 children born and 4 living.
- Timothy Quinn [house 9 in 1901] (70) and his wife, Winifred lived with son Patrick (38), daughter Annie (20) and grand son Thomas Walsh (3). They were married for 45 years with 10 children born and 6 living.
- Michael Farragher [house 8 in 1901] (45) and his wife Mary (31) [née Greaney, house 2, Bunatubber, in 1901] lived with his brothers John (50) and Thomas (48). They were married for 1 year and had no children.
- James Greaney [house 3 in 1901] (76) and his wife Julia (76) lived with their son Michael (41), daughter Mary (34) and daughter-in-law Mary (38). James and Julia were married for 44 years with 4 children born and 3 living. Michael and Mary were married for 16 years and had no children
- Peter Greaney [house 2 in 1901] (73) and his wife Julia (60) lived with their sons Patk (32), James (30), Michael (16) and daughter Kate (18). They were married for 33 years with 10 children born and 6 living.
- Mary Navin [house 4 in 1901] (64) lived with her sister Bridget Navin (60) and cousins Michael Burke (28) [married 1908, address listed as Cahermaurice, father: Thomas Burke], Bridget Burke (33) [wife of Michael, née Leonard, Adrigoole, father: Thomas Leonard] and Thomas Burke (1) [born 1909, son of Michael and Bridget, birth address listed as Bunnatubber]. Michael and Bridget Burke were married for 3 years with 1 child born and living.
- Mary Cunningham [house 7 in 1901] (80), a widow, lived with her son Michael (30) and daughter Bridget (40). Mary was married for 27 years with 6 children born and 4 living.
- Francis Noone [house 6 in 1901] (64), a widower, lived with his sons Martin (31) and Thomas (28).
- Bridget Cunningham [house 5 in 1901] (71), by now a widow, lived with her sons John (41), William (37), Andrew (39) (married 1904 to Mary Burke, Balrobuckbeg, father: John Burke), daughter Sarah (33) and granddaughter Delia Greaney (14). Bridget was married for 33 years with 8 children born and living.
- Martin Morris [house 13 in 1901] (68), now widowed, lived with his son Michael (30) and daughter Sarah (19).
- Patrick Dooley [house 14 in 1901] (50) and wife Mary (52) lived with their son Michael (12). They were married for 13 years with 1 child born and living.
- John Burke [house 16 in 1901] (73) lived with his wife Kate (56), sons Edmond (24), Martin (22) and daughter Bridget (26). They were married for 32 years with 6 children born and living.
- Bridget Burke [house 15 in 1901] (61), single, lived with her nephews John (9) and Patrick (8) and niece Mary (13).
- Michael Noone [house 17 in 1901] (69) and wife Bridget (75) lived with his stepson John Lenihan (39). [Michael and Bridget married in 1876.]
- Mary McTigue [house 19 in 1901] (32), single, lived on her own.
- Mary Carr [ house 18 in 1901] (71) lived with her brother John (70), sisters Winnie (53) and Margret (sic) (50). All were single.
- Patrick Fury [house 1 in 1901] (70) and wife Bridget (55) lived with their sons Patrick (30), Thomas (24), daughter Bridget (18) and servants Martin Warde (27), Mary Burke (18) and Francis Browne (70).
There was one first class house (Patrick Fury), seventeen second class houses and one third class house listed in the census return. The first class house had a roof of slate, iron or tile while all the remaining houses had roofs of thatch, wood or other perishable material. All had walls of stone, brick or concrete. There was one house with seven, one with six and one with four windows at the front. Fourteen houses had three front windows and two had 2 front windows. Most homes also had a stable, cow/house, piggery and barn. In total there were 18 stables, 15 cow houses, 4 calf houses, 19 piggeries, 4 fowl houses, 1 boiling house, 16 barns, 2 potato houses, 1 workshop, 15 sheds and 1 corn mill.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been researched by the author and used to annotate the records here.