Carrowbeg South / An Cheathrú Bheag Theas
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: An Cheathrú Bheag Theas
English name: Carrowbeg South
Meaning: the small quarter
Area: 116 acres and 39 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Carrowbeg South (B. S. Sketch Map), Carrubegg (County Book), Carruebegg (County Book).
Description: Francis Blake, Esq., Proprietor.
Situation: It is situated 1 1/4 S. W. of Annaghdown Church [of Ireland]. Bounded North by Gurtroe. South by Thonaguraun. East by Mullaghdrum and West Castlereeva.
Information from National Inventory of Archtectural Heritage
- St Brendan’s Catholic Church. “Detached four-bay double-height Catholic church, dated 1831, on a cruciform plan comprising two-bay double-height nave opening into single-bay (single-bay deep) double-height transepts centred on single-bay double-height chancel to crossing (west); single-bay three-stage tower to entrance (east) front on a square plan. Renovated with sanctuary reordered. Pitched slate roof on a cruciform plan, ridge tiles with Celtic Cross finial to apex (west), and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Pebbledashed walls on rendered chamfered plinth; rendered, ruled and lined surface finish (west). Pointed-arch window openings with cut-limestone Y-mullions, and cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass panels. Pointed-arch door opening (tower) with concrete threshold, and cut-limestone surround having concave-detailed reveals framing timber boarded double doors. Pointed-arch openings (bell stage) with cut-limestone voussoirs framing louvered fittings. Interior including vestibule (east); pointed-arch door opening into nave with glazed timber panelled double doors having overlight; full-height interior with choir gallery (east), central aisle between timber pews, timber boarded wainscoting supporting carved timber dado rail, Gothic-style stations between stained glass windows, carpeted stepped dais to sanctuary to crossing (west) reordered with Gothic-style reredos, and moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling with decorative plasterwork ceiling roses. Set in landscaped grounds.”
“A church ‘Erected by the Exertions of The Revd. R. [Raymond] HARGADON [d. 1833] & Parishioners A.D 1831’ representing an integral component of the ecclesiastical heritage of County Galway with the architectural value of the composition, one showing the hallmarks of a period of construction coinciding with the dismantling of the Penal Laws under the Roman Catholic Relief Act, 1829, suggested by such attributes as the cruciform plan form, aligned along an inverted liturgically-correct axis; the “pointed” profile of the openings underpinning a contemporary Georgian Gothic theme; and the Irish battlements embellishing the tower as a picturesque eye-catcher in the landscape.”
- Corrandulla Nursing Home, former Franciscan Monastery. “Detached two-storey former monastery, built c.1850, having five-bay central section flanked by shallow two-bay gable-fronted projections, south-eastern being chapel. Now in use as nursing home. Single-storey early twentieth-century addition to south-west to form courtyard plan. Chapel has six-bay side elevation with gabled entrance porch to south-east end, and further three-bay two-storey section. Other wing has six-bay side elevation. Bellcote to courtyard with cross to apex of north-west gable at front. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods, aluminium copings to gables, and rendered chimneystacks. Porch has limestone copings and metal cross finial. Rendered walls, with render bands, plinths and quoin strips to gable-fronts. Round-headed niches to upper gables, with statues inset. Square-headed window openings with painted stone sills, replacement uPVC windows, and render surrounds. Lancet windows to gable-front of chapel with leaded stained glass and painted stone sills. Elliptical-headed entrance doorway with render surround, replacement uPVC door with spoked fanlight. Secondary entrance has pointed doorway with timber battened double-leaf door with traceried overlight. Set back from road in lawned grounds. Two-storey early twentieth-century structures to north-west, and two-bay two-storey with attic store house to rear with rendered walls and having brick quoins to windows. Random rubble boundary wall to rear, with square-plan ashlar limestone gate piers and gate to south-east.”
“This elegant and well proportioned former monastery building makes a significant contribution to the architectural and social heritage of the area. The elegant Georgian facade is flanked by a Gothic Revival chapel which makes for an assymetrical façade. Although the building has been extended and altered over the years many original features are retained, such as the bellcote, slate roof, cast-iron rainwater goods and statuary. The building forms a distinctive landmark within Corrandulla, adjacent to the Catholic church.”
1841: 6 houses, 36 people (17 male, 19 female)
1851: 6 houses, 24 people (11 male, 13 female)
1861: 8 houses (incl. 3 uninhabited), 26 people (13 male, 13 female)
1871: 5 houses, 29 people (15 male, 14 female)
1881: 7 houses (incl. 3 uninhabited), 26 people (14 male, 12 female)
1891: 8 houses (incl. 3 uninhabited), 41 people (33 male, 8 female)
1901: 5 houses, 64 people (47 male, 17 female)
1911: 5 houses, 53 people (33 male, 19 female)
2011: 26 houses (incl. 9 uninhabited), 74 people (46 male, 28 female)
Tithe Applotment Books
Carabeg (sic.) is recorded in the 1824 Tithe Applotment Books as consisting of 62 acres, 58 of which were held by Fras. Blake Esqr [of Cregg Castle], with the remaining 4 acres held by Lauce. [Laurence] Murray.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records Michael Lynch as occupying a house and land, while Thomas Lynch and Patrick Lynch as each occupying a house, offices and land. The Superior of the [Franciscan] Monastery held a school house, office and land, and an R.C. Chapel and yard is also recorded. John Blake, Patrick Wade, John Ahern, Thomas Lardner, William Kavanagh, Owen Mullaval, and Jeremiah Fahy each held land in the townland. The entire townland was held from Francis Blake, except for William Kavanagh’s portion which was held from John Blake – like a subletting.
Valuation House & Field Books
The November 1853 house book entries for Carrowbeg South show Michael Lynch occupying a house, and Thomas Lynch and Patt Lynch as occuping a house and offices. Rev. Thomas Keavney is given as the occupier of the Roman Catholic Chapel, and the Community of the Monastery of Annaghdown occupied a school house with a porch.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following five households in Carrowbeg South.
- Laurence Ambrose (69), Parish Priest, born in Co. Mayo; his niece Maggie Carroll (46), housekeeper, born in Co. Mayo; nephew Larrie Gibbons (13), scholar, born in Co. Mayo; and Mary Cahil (30), general servant.
- Michael Glynn (40), shepherd; his wife Mary (45) [née Lynch]; sons John (20), Patrick (17), agricultural labourers; Michael (12), scholar; and daughter Mary (6), scholar. This holding was recorded as being on the land of Helen C. Blake.
- Brendan Buckley (36), Superior of Monastery, born in Co. Limerick, teacher; the following members of the Franciscan Community are also recorded: Francis Costello (65), born in Kings Co. (Offaly); Bonaventure Finnerty (61), born in Mayo; Mell McGovern (27), born in Leitrim; Virgilius Walsh (24), born in Kilkenny, teacher; Stanislaus O’Loughlin (20), born in Donegal; Sylvester Lynch (20), born in Fermanagh; Casimer Judge (20), born in Galway, teacher; Isidore Smith (18), born in Leitrim; Michael D’Arcy (31), born in Galway, teacher; the following community members were students: Augustine Quigley (17), Xavier Cosgrove (17), Celestine Lynch (16), Albert Maguire (18), all born in Fermanagh; Angelo Foran (17), born in Kerry; Thomas Joyce (22), born in Mayo; Gerard Cahir (15) and Chrysostom Cahill (15), both born in Clare; Conrad Hegarty (14), born in Roscommon; Andrew Lonergan (14), born in Limerick City; and Patrick Devine (15), born in Mayo. Morgan Murray (68) is recorded as a farm labourer and servant.
- Michael Mark Lynch (35), farmer; his sister Norah (22); nephew Patrick Scahill (16), and niece Maria Scahill (15), both scholars.
- Michael Lynch (78), publican and farmer; his son John (42), farmer’s son; daughter-in-law Bridget (33), barmaid; and grandchildren Mary (9), Thomas (7), Maggie (5), and John (4), all scholars.
Three of the houses were private dwellings: the Parochial House was of the first class and had a roof of slate, iron or tiles, between seven and nine rooms, and six front windows; the other two had roofs of thatch, between two and four rooms, and thee front windows each. The other two buildings were the Monastery, a first class building which had a roof of slate, iron or tiles, 13 or more rooms, and 14 front windows; and a Public House occupied by Michael Lynch, which had a thatched roof, five or six rooms, and five front windows.
Three further uninhabited buildings are recorded: Carrowbeg Female National School, Carrowbeg Male National School, and the Roman Catholic Chapel.
Out-offices and farm steadings recorded in the townland are four stables, four cow-houses, three calf-houses, four piggeries, four fowl-houses, four barns, one workshop, two sheds, and four cart-houses.
Five households are recorded in the 1911 census.
- Michael Lynch (45), farmer; his wife Honor (40), married for seven years with four children born alive and still living; sister Honor Lynch (29); and children Bridgie (6), Mark (4), Mary (3), scholars; and Thomas (1).
- Thomas Hosty (67), Parish Priest, born in Co. Mayo; his sisters Margret (45), and Kate (40), both cooks born in Co. Mayo; servants Michl Feeny (15), and Honor O’Mally (14).
- Domenick Gavin (50), farmer, Superior of Monastery, born in King’s Co. (Offaly); and Community Members Pascal Cahill (32), teacher, born in Kerry; Angelo Foran (27), teacher, born in Kerry; Francis Costello (75), farmer, born in Queen’s Co. (Laois); Bonaventure Finnerty, farmer, born in Co. Mayo; Giles Mannion (36), farmer, born in Galway; Aengus Finan (35), farmer, born in Sligo; and students Rutlege F. Healy (16), Thomas McQuillan (26), born in Louth; Patrick J. Smith (17), born in Meath; John McGlory (16), born in Manchester; and Laurence McDermott (28), born in Leitrim.
- Michael Glynn (55), occupation herding; his wife Mary (61), married for 25 years with three children born alive and still living; and children Pat (28), Michael (24), farmer’s sons, and Mary (16).
- John Lynch (53), farmer; his wife Bridget (46), married for 22 years with eight children born alive and still living; and children Thomas (18), farmer’s son; Margaret (17); John (14), farmer’s son; Bridget (7), Timothy (4), Patrick (2), scholars.
All houses had walls of stone. Two had roofs of slate, iron, or tiles – the Franciscan Monastery, which had between ten and twelve rooms and ten front windows; and the Parochial House, which had five or six rooms and six front windows. The remaining three houses each had a thatched roof, between two and four rooms, and three front windows.
Two further unoccupied buildings are recorded: Carrowbeg N. School (Male) and Carrowbeg N. School (Female), both on the land of Helen C. Blake of Cregg.
Out-offices recorded are six stables, a coach house, five cow-houses, two calf-houses, five piggeries, two fowl-houses, five barns, two turf-houses, and five cart-houses.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.