Shanbally / An Seanbhaile
Compiled by Paul Greaney
Irish name: An Seanbhaile
English name: Shanbally
Meaning: the old town/village
Area: 165 acres and 29 perches.
Field Names: None yet recorded.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Shanbally, Sean bhaile, Shanmhallagh (Bostoon!), Shanbally (B. S. Sketch Map),
Shanwalla (Barony Map), Shanwalla (County Map), Shanbally (High Constable, 1838), Shanbally (Inq. Temp. Car. I), Shanbuoly (Inq. Temp. Gal. III), Shanvally (Inq. Temp. Iac. I), Shanwalla or old village (Local), Shanbalea (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Proprietor Walter Lynch, Esq. All under tillage except about 6 acres of flooded bog.
1841: 13 houses, 75 people (33 male, 42 female)
1851: 3 houses, 24 people (12 male, 12 female)
1861: 3 houses, 22 people (9 male, 13 female)
1871: 3 houses, 18 people (9 male, 9 female)
1881: 5 houses, 26 people (15 male, 11 female)
1891: 5 houses, 29 people (17 male, 12 female)
1901: 6 houses, 34 people (17 male, 17 female)
1911: 6 houses, 34 people (18 male, 16 female)
2011: Not available.
Shanbally is recorded in the 1824 Tithe Applotment Books as the property of Sir TB Lynch. Occupiers listed are Fras [Francis] & Thos [Thomas] Killiea and J Grealy, who held a total of 87 acres.
1855 Griffith’s Valuation
Griffith’s Valuation records three heads of household in Shanbally: Thomas Malley, Bryan Shaughnessy, and Patrick Killilea, each of whom held a house, office, and land from Mark Lynch. John Ford also held land, while the landlord Mark Lynch held a portion of bog in fee.
Valuation House & Field Books
The 1845 house book for Shanbally records Thomas Killela [Killilea] as occupier of a dwelling together with return, barn & stable, fowl house, cow house and car house.
The 1853 house book records the Thomas Mally, Bryan Shaughnessy and Pat Killilea as occuping a house and offices. Timothy Newell (Smith) is also recorded as occupier of a forge.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following six households in Shanbally.
- Thomas Killilea (49), farmer; his wife Mary (32); and daughters Margaret (7), Julia (5), scholars, Mary (3), and Bridget (1).
- John Killilea (51), farmer; his wife Mary (34) [née Fahy, Annagh East]; and son Michael (7 months), infant.
- Francis Shaughnessy (38), farmer; his wife Kate (40) [née Greaney, Liscananaun]; children Honor (18), farmer’s daughter; John (16), farmer’s son; Patrick (14), Bryan (13), Bridget (12), William (10), Thomas (8), Mary (6), James (4), scholars; and Mary Quirke (70), lodger, nurse domestic servant, spoke Irish only.
- Michael Melia (66), farmer; his wife Mary (60) [née Welby, Knockkillaree, Oughterard]; son John (28), farmer’s son; and daughter Bridget (20), farmer’s daughter.
- Patrick Boyle (80), cottier; and his wife Bridget (60).
- Martin Greany (48), carpenter; his wife Bridget (50) [née Curry, Annagh West]; sons Thomas (21), John (17), both carpenters; Peter (13), scholar; and daughters Bridget (9) and Mary (6), both scholars.
Each house was constructed of stone, had a thatched roof and consisted of between two and four rooms. Two of the houses were of the second class, one having four front windows and the other three. The remaining four houses were of the third class; each had two front windows.
Out-offices recorded in the townland were four stables, four cow-houses, five piggeries, a fowl-house, four barns, a workshop, and four cart-houses.
The same six households appear in 1911.
- Patrick Boyle (90), cottier; and his wife Bridget (75), married for eight years with no children born alive. Bridget spoke Irish only.
- Martin Greaney (55), carpenter; his wife Bridget (57) [née Curry, Annagh West], carpenter, married for 34 years with five children born alive and still living; and children Thomas (31), John (26), Peter (23), Bridget (19), and Mary (16), all carpenters.
- John Killilea (68), farmer; his wife Mary (52) [née Fahy, Annagh East], married for 14 years with four children born alive and two still living; and sons Michael (12) and Francis (10).
- Thomas Killilea (60), farmer; his wife Mary (45) [née Casey, Barranny], married for 19 years, with eleven children born alive and eight still living; and children Margaret (17), farmer’s daughter; Julia (15), Mary (13), Bridget (12), Norah (6), Patrick (4), Ellen (2), and Katie (2 months), all scholars.
- Frank Shaughnessy (50), farmer; his wife Kate (53) [née Greaney, Liscananaun], married for 30 years with nine children born alive and eight still living; children Patt (24), Willie (20), Thomas (18), farmer’s sons; Mary (16), farmer’s daughter; James (14), scholar; and grandson John Davin (2 months), infant.
- John Melia (43), farmer; his wife Maria (37) [née Murphy, Ballymurphy], married for two years with no children born alive; and servant Martin Scully (38).
Each house was constructed of stone, had a thatched roof and consisted of between two and four rooms. Four of the houses were of the second class, one having four front windows and the other three having three front windows. The remaining two houses were of the third class; each had two front windows.
Out-offices recorded in the townland were four stables, five cow-houses, six piggeries, five barns, a workshop, and six sheds.
Note: Information in squared brackets has been added by the author and does not appear in the original record.