Turloughgarve / An Turlach Garbh
Compiled by Nicholas Lyons
Irish name: An Turlach Garbh
English name: Turloughgarve
Meaning: The rough turlough. Turlach – winter lake.
Area: 339 acres 3 roods 20 perches.
Information from O’Donovan’s Field Name Books
Other names: Turlogh gorriv, Tuirloughgorriv (B. S. Sketch Map), Thurloughgarrive (Barony Map), Thurlogharrive (County Map), Turloughgorriv (Local), Torloughgorave Park (Rector of Annaghdown).
Description: Francis Blake, Esq. Proprietor. All under tillage except portions of rocky pasture.
Situation: It is situated ½ mile of Currandulla Chapel. Bounded North by Glanreavagh. South by Gurtroe. East by Bolisheen. West by Balrubbuckmore, Currandulla and Carrowbeg North.
1841: 1 house, 10 people (7 male, 3 female)
1851: 1 house, 9 people (5 male, 4 female)
1861: 2 houses, 11 people (5 male, 6 female)
1871: 2 houses, 10 people (5 male, 5 female)
1881: 2 houses, 16 people (8 male, 8 female)
1891: 2 houses, 10 people (5 male, 5 female)
1901: 2 houses, 12 people (7 male, 5 female)
1911: 2 houses, 12 people (6 male, 6 female)
2011: 11 houses (1vacant), 33 people (17 male, 16 female)
Prior to The Composition Act 1823, tithes due to the Church of England were payable in kind. This new Act specified they should be paid in money. Therefore it was necessary to carry out an evaluation of property in the entire country to determine what landholder should pay.
There were different rates for the varying quality of land. In Turloughgarve the rates were one shilling and three pence and one shilling.
In 1824 John Cavenagh had 50 acres at the rate of one shilling and threepence and 49 acres at the rate of one shilling paying a total of five pounds eleven shillings and sixpence.
Total acreage recorded for the townland is ninetynine acres with proceeds divided between Rev. R. Marley and J. Kirwan.
The tax was not payable on all land, in some areas only on tillage, that is, potatoes and not on grassland so there was glaring inequity with its application.
Valuations were carried over a fifteen year period until 1838 when they were abolished.
1840 Griffith’s House Books and 1855 Griffith’s Valuation
There are two listings in Griffith’s Valuation for Turloughgarve townland.
1. Francis Blake in fee with land 170 acres, 1 rood, and 33 perches, valued at £40.
2. Martin Hughes, held from Trustees of Dominick Skerritt, herd’s house and land, 160 acres 1 rood and 27 perches, valued at £26 pounds for land & ten shillings for buildings with a total of 26 pounds ten shillings.
There is no record of the townland of Turloughgarve having been involved in the sale of the Incumbered Estates in Ireland.
The adjoining townland of Glenrevagh owned by Mr Anthony Lynch, then an insolvent, was offered for sale on 28 April 1876. In the details of the sale it is mentioned that the right of the owner and tenants of the adjoining townland of Turloughgarve to pass along the road on foot and horses, cars, cattle etc will be preserved under the rights and Easements affecting Glenrevagh and Rickardbee Park.
In an earlier sale which took place in Dublin on 22 November 1841, of the townlands of Balroebuck, Glenrevagh & Rickardbee Park, Dominick Lynch & others were shown as Plaintiffs, with Dominick D. Skerrett & others as Defendants.
In Griffith’s Valuation Martin Hughes is shown as the occupier of approx. 160 acres with herd’s house and immediate lessors as trustees of Dominick Skerrett.
The 1901 Census of Ireland records the following two households in Turloughgarve.
- James Burke, aged 60, living with his wife Margaret, aged 60, daughter Anne aged 16 and sons James aged 14 and William aged 11.
- Patrick Canavan, aged 30, living with his wife Honor, aged 35, sons John aged 7, Robert aged 5, William aged 3, and daughters Mary aged 2 and Margaret just 2 months old.
James Burke is recorded as a shepherd with Mary Killelea recorded as the landholder.
Each house had walls made of stone and the roof of thatch, wood or other perishable material, and had three windows at the front. There are between two and four rooms in each house and are regarded as second class.
1. Patrick Canavan, aged 43, living with his wife Honor, aged 52, sons John aged 17, Robert aged 16, Willie aged 15, daughters Mary aged 13 and Margaret aged 11.
2. James Burke, aged 70, with his wife Margaret, aged 69, daughter Anne aged 28, son William aged 22, and daughter Mary aged 2.
James Burke is recorded as a shepherd and also the landholder.
Each house had walls made of stone and roof of thatch, wood or perishable material. One house had three windows at the front making it a second class house, whilst the other has two windows at the front making it a third class house. Each house has between two and four rooms.
Each house has a stable, cow house, piggery and barn with one house having a cart shed.
Turloughgarve borders the following other townlands: Balroebuck More to the west, Bolisheen to the east, Carrowbeg North to the south, Corrandulla to the west, Glenrevagh to the north, Gortroe to the south, and Tumnahulla to the east.